In June, 1908- there was a mysterious blast in the Tunguska region, in the Siberian plateau. Most Scientists believe this blast was from a meteor burning up in the earth’s atmosphere, just prior to hitting planet earth. One hundred years later, many are realizing the health benefits from this event. Plant life near the epicenter of Tunguska is prospering. Did these plants have some unique ability to adapt and survive after enormous environmental stressors? Are there other species of plant herbs which possess the same ability? The ability to adapt to stress? If so- how can they help human health?
Wikipedia states: “In 1947, Nikolai Lazarev defined an adaptogen as an agent that allows the body to counter adverse physical, chemical, or biological stressors by raising nonspecific resistance toward such stress, thus allowing the organism to “adapt” to the stressful circumstances.
Human stress is a well known cause of disease. Adaptogens are believed to help your body adapt to the stresses faced throughout the day. Adaptation is a major way the body fights disease causing stress.
Herbal adaptogens have been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Diseases and conditions caused or made worse with stress include: Angina, asthma, cancer, heart disease, common cold, depression and anxiety, overweight, diabetes, tension headaches , hypertension , weakened immune suppression, Irritable bowel disease, heartburn and ulcer.
Most adaptogens fall into the following categories-
- Ashwagandha or Indian Winter Cherry (Withania somnifera)
- Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum),
- Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Asian Ginseng (Panax ginseng)
- Korean Red Ginseng (Asian Red Ginseng)
- Astragalus(Astragalus Membranaceus)
- He Shou Wu (Fo-ti)
- Eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticosus)
- Licorice Root (Glycyrrhiza Uralensis)
- Goji Wolfberry (Lycium Barbarum)
- Reishi Mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum)
- Chinese Magnolia Vine (Schizandra Chinensis)
- Jiaogulan (Gynostemma Pentaphyllum)
- Shilajit (Asphaltum)
- Prince Seng
- Russian Mountain Ash (Sorbus Aucuparia)
- Chaga Mushroom (Inonotus Obliquus)
- American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius)
- Manchurian Thorn Tree (Aralia Mandchurica)
- Golden Root (Rhodiola Rosea)
All Adaptogens are herbs, but not all herbs are adaptogens. Adaptogens have the following qualities-
1. It must be non-toxic
2. It must have an overall normalizing effect, improving all kinds of conditions and aggravating none.
3. It must increase the body’s resistance to adverse influences, not by a specific action but by a wide range of physical, chemical, and biochemical factors.
There are many ways to increase the amount of adaptogens in your life. From the chart below, we see that pills have the least absorption while sprays have the most. TunguskaMist, an oral spray with adaptogens, has maximal absorption. There are spray specifically formulated for various needs. TunguskaMist has formulated adaptogens for insomonia, immune strengthening, virility and more.
If you have any questions regarding adaptogens, email firstname.lastname@example.org